My love of NYT's Gail Collins continues unabated. I especially love this part:
"Palin has been pressing the line that people don’t really know “the real Barack Obama,” and who could make the argument better than a woman who we’ve already known for almost six weeks? Really, she’s like one of the family.
We’ve gotten so close we’ve already learned that she didn’t actually sell the plane on eBay, didn’t actually visit the troops in Iraq and didn’t really have a talk with the British ambassador. As soon as we get the Trooper thing and Alaska Independence Party thing and the tax thing figured out, she’ll be an open book."
Also, while I was sick (I am recovering from a bad cold), I rediscovered my love of the New Yorker. I don't know how I forgot, since it is awesome. Being so busy, I can only keep up with so many websites at once (plus Mad Men, Amazing Race, Stewart, and Colbert - how do I find time to do my work??) Anyway, there are some really interesting articles up on their site right now, so if you are bored/procrastinating, I highly recommend this one on language in the election, this one on returning soldiers from Iraq (warning: this article is quite depressing), and this one on the working class in Ohio and the upcoming election.
Finally, I've mentioned that I follow Pollster for election projections but this election projection site is also very interesting: fivethirtyeight.com. The guy also does baseball statistics and he takes elements like historical trends, demographics etc. into his polling. His co-site runner guy also takes photos and writes interesting reports from visits to rallies, volunteer centers etc. on both sides. It's a cool site. And it gives Obama a 90.9% chance of winning? Who wouldn't like that?? (John McCain doesn't count!)
Sunday, October 12, 2008
I Heart Gail Collins
Posted by Jennie at 10:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
no, you can NOT provide me with more procrastination! I will never work!!! (but secretly I'm thrilled, you know it's true)
McCain doesn't count for anything. And that is my conclusion for the day.
ok, read the Gail Collins piece, hilarious. I especially like the part where she compares McCain to Golum. What could be better???
I know, she is great. She is my NY Times girlfriend. She is what Maureen Dowd thinks she is. Jon Stewart also did an excellent McCain/Gollum comparison, perhaps last week? Good times :)
Amazing Race: hometown kids make good!
Nicky and Star Spangler, the brother/sister team are from Los Altos (or thereabouts). I did some youth theater with them, even. Remember Spangler Mortuary? That's their parents' business. I haven't watched the show so far, but I understand that they're doing pretty well.
Post a Comment