So apparently, some people felt that I should be posting more. I would, except that Independence is boring. It's not even quirkily fun like Abilene. No one has tried to steal anything from the Archives. And I'm not finding as good of stuff at the Truman Library. And at this point, I am sick of research and just want to go home. Hence, boring. I watch a lot of Law and Order. Chink chink! I think that old school Law and Order is my favorite, then SVU, then Criminal Intent. When I am bored with Law and Order, I switch to CSI. Thrilling. On a really exciting day, my new favorite shows are on: Ace of Cakes on the Food Network and It's me or the Dog on Animal Planet. As you can tell I am taking full advantage of the cable.
So I thought I would share something kind of fun that I found today. In the early 1950s, Churchill was reelected as PM of Great Britain and he came on a visit to the US and Canada. After the meeting, Dean Acheson, US Secretary of State, exchanged letters with a counterpart in Canada about the visit, talking about Churchill and how they felt everything went. Lest you think world leaders only talk about serious things . . .
“We also had our lighter moments, one of them being when at dinner he made Cherwell get out his slide rule and compute the depth of inundation which would take place in the dining room if all the champagne Mr. Churchill had drunk in his life were poured into it. The results were very disappointing to the Old Man. He had expected that we would be swimming like goldfish in a bowl whereas it would hardly come up to our knees.”
Just so you know, Cherwell was actually Lord Cherwell. Clearly being a British Lord brings you great things. As least he had that slide rule!
Friday, May 2, 2008
Goldfish in a bowl!
Posted by Jennie at 8:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
although i've never seen "it's me or the dog", its title makes it my new favorite show.
Post a Comment