Monday, July 2, 2007

Things I Love about Japan: Part 1

The first in an occasional series.

Doesn't this sushi look delicious? Mmmmm, yummy sushi . . . .

It's plastic.

When I first came here, I was worried about being able to order in restaurants. What if I couldn't read the menu?? What if I couldn't figure out what things were?? What I did not realize is that Japan is highly advanced in the business of plastic food, a country devoted to helping people like me answer those very questions. Most restaurants have an impressive display of plastic food - almost their entire menu, along with prices - in the front window (click on the pictures to enlarge)

What I love about this is not just that it includes all different types of cuisine - we've seen them for Indian food, Italian food, eggs, ice cream, soba, tonkatsu, sushi, tempura etc., but that Japan has a whole, obviously extensive, industry devoted to the manufacturing of plastic food. Food that looks exactly like what you would receive in the restaurant. Apparently, there is a factory in Tokyo where you can buy such things . . . it will have to be a field trip. Forget Yasukuni Shrine . . . to the plastic food factory!!!


The most plastically looking off all the displays, I just love the "floating" piece of pizza, accompanied by some refreshing plastic beer!!


2 comments:

Ben said...

I wonder how much diversity there is in the plastic foods. I mean, does a chef bring her katsu-don to the factory and they make up a plastic version, or does the chef have to strive to make her katsu-don look exactly like the plastic model available? Would that cramp the style of an innovative cook?

Loren said...

wouldn't these make perfect souveniers??

 
template by suckmylolly.com