Monday, September 29, 2008

Hisashiburi . . .

That means it's been a long time in Japanese. You say it when you see someone that you haven't see for a while . . . I realize that I have been a little absent the past few weeks, but it's been busy. The Center program has finally started full-bore, with morning and afternoon classes (4 hours a day) and tons of homework. Tonight I managed to finish my homework by 9, so I am using the evening to catch up on email, blog etc. I also made a yummy leek and potato soup for dinner, perfect for today's weather (rainy and cool). After all my complaints about the summer, it has very suddenly become fall here. I like it, though I could do without some of the rain!

Surprisingly enough, despite the long break, I don't have much new to report. My life in Japan has come to approximate my life in Madison. New people, but similar patterns. Work, homework, Starbucks, TV (Colbert, Stewart, Mad Men), sleep. This past weekend some people from the center had a pot luck - I actually didn't know them well (my friend Vanessa was invited and since we had had plans that night, brought me along) but it was really fun. And everything was vegetarian. And there was lots of wine!! This was my kind of potluck. It was great to get to talk to some people outside the center, especially since we were able to talk in English. The rest of the weekend I watched the debate (see below), did some grocery shopping, and did some work. I have an article to write and it's slow going - hard to find time to work on it with all the center homework. This weekend I signed up for field trip about archery as a shinto ritual (I think, I don't quite remember). It's in Kamakura which will be fun. I went there last summer (when these pics are from) - there are lots of beautiful temples, a giant buddha and sweet potato ice cream! My friends Vanessa and Will are going, so it should be a good time. I will take my camera and try to take some more interesting pics.

Food wise, things have been going well here. I have stuck to the same quasi vegetarianism that I practiced last summer. Eating no pieces of fish, but things with fish broth. Since we have a well stocked kitchen, I've also been cooking a lot, particularly stuff from this website. The lemony chick pea stirfry and the otsu are especially yummy. I have, however, been craving pizza. They do have some familiar names here (though not good) such as Shakey's and Domino's (and it's $24 for a medium!) and for your amusement, I thought I would share the English menu. Anyone care for some shrimp and mayonnaise pizza? How about mayo-tuna and corn? Yum! My roommate, Nikki, claims this conversation is making her mouth water . . .

Now, the debate. I thought Obama did well. Not amazing, but very well. I wanted to see him go after McCain a bit more, but I think since McCain was so cranky and grouchy (I believe Chris Matthews may have called him troll-like), it actually made Obama look better to be restrained - I think he definitely beat McCain on the attitude (of course, I also think he beat him on substance). Since this was supposed to be McCain's strongest debate, it says a lot that Obama came off strongly. Most importantly, he clearly came across as someone thoughtful and smart, a statesman with gravitas. I, of course, thought that Obama won the debate, but ever since my reaction to Sarah Palin compared with many other people (not my friends of course, but all those "normal" Americans), I have learned not to trust my own opinions. Still, most of the post debate polling seems to confirm that Obama did well. I particularly liked this exchange:



Wipe that smirk off your face grouchy man McCain!! I want more like this, where Obama is forceful and clear. Now, I am very curious to see how Biden/Palin goes . . . after the Katie Couric interview, Palin has got a LOT of work to do . . . .

What did you guys all think of the debate?

6 comments:

Loren said...

yo! i thought mccain did okay, but showed himself to be somewhat of a hothead too. plus, what a wienie to try and get out of the debate in the first place!

Gabe said...

Viva Obama!!! I thought he did well and McCain seemed petty by refusing to look at him. It was kind of ridiculous how McCain kept talking about "victory" and "winning" in Iraq. I mean yeah it is a very good thing that violence is down, but when troops get pulled out, what kind of country is going to emerge, long-term? Anyhoo, I thought Obama came off far more presidential, I'm glad polls seem to indicate the same. Not sure why the media seemed to consider it a tie, kind of puts the lie to the idea that the media is some liberal elite intent on bending over backwards to help Obama.

Ben said...

Obama said "John is right..." a lot. In general, this was in response to some example of McCain egregiously distorting some fact in order to lead the audience to a bogus conclusion. Example (paraphrased): John is right, I did vote against a funding bill for the troops in Iraq, but if you look at the record you'll see I was opposed to the bill because it lacked a timetable for withdrawal, not because I hate America, moms and apple pie, as McCain would have you conclude.

I like the approach, but I'd prefer something a bit more direct, like:

"John is a vicious, divisive troll trying to deceive you by treacherously distorting the facts, which are these: ... "

Jennie said...

I agree with Ben's comment, in that you know the repubs will twist around all the John is right comments (they already made an ad about it). But in a time when Obama needs independents, I think it also made him look good to awknowledge a good idea, or look like he was willing to reach over to repubs and not be so vicious. But i definitely wouldn't have minded more time when he hammered McCain . . .

Christine said...

I think Obama did well, but I do think he needed to be a little more forceful. For one thing, even though I personally don't buy the McCain style, he is still doing what republicans have been doing better than Democrats since the late 60s in making the oversimplified emotional appeal. I think Obama did a good job countering him logically (as Ben and Jennie have mentioned), but I think there were a few places when he could have been a bit more aggressive and made an appeal or two of his own. (I don't normally like to advocate the dumbing down of politics, but on the other hand, I would like him to win!) I was amused that he reminded McCain he once sung a song about bombing Iran!

Muggy said...

I'm so happy to be back on the Jennie blog train!

I like the McCain-troll comparison. It fills me with joy. Or uncontrollable rage. Take your pick.

 
template by suckmylolly.com