Well, the interest in Sarah Palin continues, as does my (and many other people's) intense discomfort with her on the ticket. I know that I am probably preaching to the converted here, but I enjoyed both of these editorials about Palin: Frank Rich and Judith Warner. I particularly liked Warner's insight that Sarah Palin's "realness" comes in part from her willingness to make "it clear that she’s subordinate to a great man." That is why I didn't want to see Hillary as VP, it felt like a step backward - it felt too much like the woman can never be the leader, but she can always be in some supportive, secretarial role . . . I want to see her go forward as a leader in the Senate and a leader in health care reform. But I digress . . . from these links, it is also clear that my obsessive reading of the NYTimes continues unabated. My mom also sent me this very interesting link about the nature and future of the Republican party.
Finally, with concerns that the race is tightening up, take heart in the state by state match ups and electoral vote count at Pollster. As we learned in '00, in the end the national percentages don't matter, it's all about the states. If Obama can hang on to everyone going/leaning Dem and pick up a couple more states . . . woohoo! I am choosing to be optimistic because it's just too depressing to think otherwise. And if you need cheering up, enjoy this adorable Youtube video!
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Three good political reads . . .
Posted by Jennie at 9:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are really into the Bert and Ernie youtube! Good times with Sesame street!
The Proclaimers one is a little too cutesy for me.
The article about the nature and future of the Republican party was interesting. I thought the section about the economics of immigration was especially so, the conclusions about genetic engineering and the future seemed a bit more speculative. Here is a sort of book-end from The New Yorker a few weeks ago about the potential future of the Democratic Party, as it stops trying to win votes in the south and looks toward the West: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/09/01/080901fa_fact_lizza
Post a Comment