Monday, April 14, 2008

I have arrived!

Well, that was a long day. After almost 12 hours on the road, I have arrived in Abilene. My hotel room is small, but hopefully safe. I have cable and internet, so plenty to amuse me, and I have already turned on the TV to find "What Not to Wear" so yay for that. My impressions of Abilene thus far, to be perfectly frank, are that Abilene is kind of a shithole. But maybe that will change tomorrow after I visit the Eisenhower library and meditation place (I shall meditate on the wonders of John Foster Dulles). Hmm, not much else to report. My plan to stop at Panera in Coralville, IA worked well, but not so much my hopes for Chipotle in Manhattan, KS (labeled on signs as the Little Apple - those Kansasians have such a sense of humor!) I did enjoy my Agatha Christie on the road though of course, the solution to the mystery was some secondary character with clues that only Poirot could put together. But that is why we love him.

Perhaps my favorite stop of the day, Bloody Gulch Road in Dixon, IL. Also the birthplace of President Reagan!

So I am taking a poll, which of the other 8 wonders of Kansas should I visit? I reserve the right to ignore your choices based on location :)


Finally, more pictures from the road!! Nothing very exciting - I took them all from the car, so yeah, hard to take good photo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, glad you made it safely. Is this the hotel with the dog show in town? If so, you know I want to see pictures.

Loren said...

i vote for the salt museum! my original vote was for the big well- but it's closed because of tornadoes or something.

Loren said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gabe said...

Ball of twine! Ball of twine! Ball of twine!

I don't care if it's not actually one of the 8 wonders of kansas, you've definitely gotta visit it.

 
template by suckmylolly.com